HomeThis week in history1959: First Photographs of the Dark Side of the Moon

1959: First Photographs of the Dark Side of the Moon

-

On this day, 26th October, in 1959, the ‘dark’ side of the Moon was seen for the first time. The images were broadcast by the Soviet Union from their satellite Luna 3, which transmitted the images over 300,000 miles (483,000 km) to Earth.

The dark side of the Moon, officially called the far side of the moon, is never seen on Earth, due to the moon’s rotational speed matching up to its orbital speed around the Earth. Until 1959 the people of Earth had only ever seen 59% of the Moon, with the other 41% remaining a mystery.

The photographs that were taken by Luna 3 showed a completely different landscape to the Moon than had been seen before. This region of the moon was mostly craterous; however two new seas were discovered, the Sea of Moscow and the Sea of Desire.

Latest Good News

Six Reasons Dolphins Are Unique Amongst Other Mammals

1. Communication Dolphins have a complex communication system that includes a variety of vocalizations, body language, and echolocation. They are able to communicate with each...

Blind ‘Unicorn’ Fish Accidentally Discovered in China

Researchers in China have discovered a new fish completely accidentally. The fish has been dubbed a blind 'unicorn' fish, due to the bulbous horn-like...

‘Robin Hood’ French Energy Workers on Strike Give Free Power to Schools, Hospitals and Low-Income Houses

Robin Hood may be a story of English folklore, but French energy workers on strike are taking the moral of the story literally, giving...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here