Monopoly released November 5th 1935
It has been 86 years since the board game Monopoly was first marketed on November 5th 1935 by the Parker Brothers. The game has now sold more than 275 million copies worldwide, and it is estimated that over 1000 different editions have been made.
Monopoly was first developed in 1903 by Elizabeth Magie. Back then it was called ‘Landlord’s Game’. Rather than being the boxed set it is today, it was handwritten by players on cards and paper. Magie was paid $500 for the rights to the game. If you’re interested in learning more about the history of monopoly, click here!
Some things you may or may not know about the infamous game:
- The longest Monopoly game was played for 70 days straight!
2. There is a Braille version of the game
3. The original game cost $2 to purchase.
4. The most expensive Monopoly board cost $2,000,000 (USD) in 1988. It was created by jeweler Sidney Mobell, it was made from 23 carrot gold, the solid gold houses and hotels were topped with rubies and sapphires.
5. Until 1991 there were only 2 editions – the original and the deluxe versions.
6. The game was used by the British Secret Service to smuggle maps to British Prisoner’s of War in Nazi Germany to help them escape.